Sunday, August 11, 2013

Anniversary Quilt

August 21st is my 9th wedding anniversary.  I wanted to make something special for my husband William.  His favorite colors are black and grey.  While I'm sure I could have made a dramatic quilt in those colors I decided to add yellow to the mix.  I had a wonderful time choosing fabrics.  One of the constraints was cost.  I'm a new quilter so I don't have a huge stash to go to so I had to purchase all new fabrics. How sad right lol.  I went to my LYS Sew Bee It, Joannes, Hobby Lobby, and Walmart to buy everything.  Everything I bought was either on clearance or I had a 40% off coupon.  My husband works at Walmart so we get 10% off on all non food purchases.  I've heard a lot of bad stories about Walmart fabric but my store just put a fabric section in and if you pay close attention you can get some nice decent quality fabrics.While creating the quilt i realized I still needed some more grey and black fabric for contrast.  My friend who gave me the pin cushion had a perfect scrap of grey fabric that I used for borders on one set of blocks.  

I also went to another guild members online quilt store. Http://www.persephonescreations.com  She sells fabric online but you can also go to her home where she converted the entire bottom section to hold inventory and set up a store.  She also does quilting on her Long-arm for customers. Please check out their web site.  

Here is a photo of the quilt top that I made for my hubby. I still need to do some work getting my mitered corners on my three borders look even.  If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.








No comments:

Post a Comment