Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Trip Around The World

I recently quilted a Trip Around the World quilt for Stacy at Pins & Needles Quilt store in Hixson ,Tn.  She did a beautiful job on the quilt and she used the pattern out of Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day Quick Trip Quilts book.  The beauty of the quilt inspired me to pick a copy of the book up at Stacy's shop.  You also can get the book from her at www.pinsandneedlesquiltshop.com or visit her store at 6425 Hixson Pike, Suite 1, Chattanooga, TN. 37343 423-668-8734

Stacy has a real eye for color and I fell in love with the fabric in shades of tan, brown, & turqoise.  Since the piecing needed to be the focus of the quilt I choose to stitch in the ditch with YLI smoke monofiliment thread.  The quilt is a King size one so it gave me plenty of time and practice doing free motion stitch in the ditch.  I had a huge difference from my beginning blocks to the ones that were near the end.  I feel confident now in my dirch stitching.

One of the things I found most challenging after keeping my stitching straight was going over the seams. Sometimes if the seams were bulky and I went over them too quickly my thread would break.  What helped was to slow down at the intersections and push down a little more tightly to keep the fabric and needle from jumping up over those seams.

Once at her shop we laid it down on the floor in hopes of being able to take a full size photo.  After the photo was taken the quilt got hung up on the wall.




No comments:

Post a Comment